Zits

Zits

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Lessons from Powell

 
 
This last week I was able to go to Lake Powell for the first time EVER! It was truly, the best experience, hands down. I now know why people are so obsessed with that place. The only other place that could make me happier is Disneyland, but that's an entirely different post.

Pictured above, is a photo I took of The National Park Rainbow Bridge. Located deep within Lake Powell (buoy 49 NOT 29 fyi)

I learned that this bridge is a religious/sacred site for the majority of Native American tribes. However, another interesting fact that I learned, is the purpose of this post.

When the water level is high, and it makes its way through this canyon, they keep and maintain the water level at exactly 46 ft. Being the curious soul that I am, I inquired as to why. Above the 46 Ft water line, the rock is sandstone. Sandstone absorbs water which then causes erosion.
The rock BELOW the 46 Ft, however, is limestone. Limestone does not absorb water therefore, no erosion. Enabling this national park to preserve the beauty and structure of something so.... well, beautiful.

Hiking back to our boat (in 112* heat) I pondered on this new knowledge I had gained. I asked myself, "Am I sandstone? Or am I limestone? Do I allow the currents of life to become so out of control..whether it be family, friends, work, or just life? Which then causes me to erode in every aspect and lose MY beauty and structure?

.."OR am I limestone? Not allowing those currents to get out of control or become more powerful than myself. KEEPING and MAINTAINING my structure and beauty.."

So I leave this analogy with you. We're stronger than we think, more courageous than we feel. It is up to us to make sure that we do not erode, decay or lose the structure and beauty that each of us posses.

"...we were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

No comments:

Post a Comment